Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Stretch Forth Your Hand, by Cherie Jones


In the Book of Mormon we can read the story of a prophet known as "the brother of Jared." He and his people were commanded by the Lord to build barges so that they could travel across the ocean to a promised land. After building the barges, the people still had two obstacles that were preventing them from making their journey ~ the barges were watertight, and thus they had no air or light inside of them.

The brother of Jared went to the Lord in prayer and was given a solution to the first problem. But to obtain light for the barges, the Lord asked the brother of Jared, "what will ye that I should do that ye may have light?" The brother of Jared had to take some time to ponder and search within himself to discover what he had to offer to the Lord. He contemplated the power of the Lord and how he needed to draw on that power in a specific way to obtain light and overcome this challenge. He carved out several smooth stones, took them to the Lord in prayer and asked the Lord to touch the stones so that they would shine in the darkness.

All of us have been promised the blessings of heaven. We are on a journey to return to our Father in Heaven, but we also have two obstacles that stand in our way ~ physical death and spiritual death.  The solution to the first was given to us freely by means of the resurrection. But to overcome spiritual death the Lord asks of us, "what will ye that I should do that ye may have light?" It requires us, like the brother of Jared, to ponder and search within ourselves to discover what we have to offer to the Lord. It requires us to contemplate the power of the Lord and how we need to draw on that power in specific ways to obtain His light and overcome challenges.  It requires us to kneel before the Lord with our own personal pile of rocks ~ those areas of our lives and portions of our character that need His touch and will never shine without it no matter how hard we try. In those moments when we've done all we can do, when our best is overwhelming inadequate, the Lord can and will stretch forth His hand to us, strengthen us, lift us up and give us light.

"...behold, the Lord stretched forth his hand and touched the stones one by one with his finger...And thus the Lord caused stones to shine in darkness..." Ether 3:6 & 6:3

I wrote a song several years ago, attempting to capture the prayer of all who feel the overwhelming inadequacy of weakness and long for the strengthening touch of the Lord, and I'd like to share that song with you.

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27

You'll notice one of my weaknesses when you listen to the song. The range of the song is really too wide for me to sing well. At some point in the future I may get one of my musical friends to make a better recording, but this will have to do for now.

Stretch Forth Your Hand


(Click here to listen to the audio file)

By Cherie Andrea Jones

Oh, how I've tried to do all that you ask.
Still I fall short and despair I'm not fit for this task.
Overwhelmed, down on my knees.
I cannot do this alone.
Lord come to me.

Doubt weighs me down and I struggle to hope.
Teach me to trust in your love, be still and let go.
All I have, I give to thee
But I feel its not enough.
Lord hear my plea.

Stretch forth your hand to touch my weakness.
Stretch forth your hand to give me strength.
Stretch forth your hand, dispel the darkness from my soul.
Through my faith, bestow your grace.
Make me whole.

Time takes its toll, but I'm learning to wait.
For promised land found beyond this challenge I face.
In your plan, teach me my part.
Give me pow'r to overcome.
Lord, calm my heart.

Stretch forth your hand to touch my weakness.
Stretch forth your hand to give me strength.
Stretch forth your hand, remove the darkness from my eyes.
Help me see, what I can be.
Hear my cries.

Take my hand.
Lift me up to thee.
Draw me into your arms.
Fill me with peace.

Stretch forth your hand to touch my weakness.
Stretch forth your hand to give me strength
Stretch forth your hand, show me your vision for my life.
Make me pure, help me endure.
Be my light.

No comments:

Post a Comment